Google Reader replacements


I'm sure you've heard already, but just in case, I will break the news that Google has decided to stop offering their Reader service starting July 1st. I'm not gonna lie, this made me VERY sad when I first heard. But, after a little research this morning, the sun is shining a little brighter because I have found 2 fantastic alternatives. Both Feedly and Bloglovin' work great, and both will import your Google Reader blogs that you have already painstakingly imported and set up.

Feedly is organized quite a bit differently than Reader, but it will keep your folder settings when you transition over and I think it's actually a bit prettier. The navigating isn't quite as intuitive, but I might prefer the way it is organized (more research still must be done) and it allows you to view full blogposts without clicking through to the individual blog sites. Feedly has been preparing for the closing of Reeder and will seamlessly transition to be your main blog reader come July. I think I am leaning toward feedly for my reader of choice.

Bloglovin' is ultimately just a much prettier version of Google Reader, but it won't preserve your categories or organization when you import from Reader. The main feed area shows all unread posts at once so you can just scroll through them without having to hit individual titles or arrow buttons, which is really convenient  But the post preview windows only show a small portion of each blogpost and require you to click out onto the main blog page to view the entire post...not sure how much I love that, but I will give it a chance.

So fret not, my friends! All will be AOK in our Readerless world come July. I'm going to feel out both options a little more before I decide on my one and only, but it's so nice to know there are great alternatives out there to take the place of our beloved Google Reader.

0 comments:

Post a Comment